While we were camping with family this weekend, Skyler’s cousin gave us some garlic scapes. They are the stems of the garlic plant and have a very strong flavor. Besides being used in pesto, they can be sautéed with veggies for a great garlic flavor. We wanted to try them out and had some avocados left over and I had thought THIS dish I saw on Pinterest. We were so excited when we saw it has garlic scapes in it! It’s a quick and easy dish that’s ready in just a few minutes. In the time it takes to boil the pasta, the pesto is ready!
Since we just got back from camping, we used what we had so the pesto was just made with basil, spinach, scapes, oil, and cheese. After the pesto is made, the avocado is mixed in, all using a food processor. The recipe we were inspired by has a little more that goes in it, read it HERE. We served it with a delicious summer vegetable tian, which you can find on our blog here.
Pasta with Avocado and Garlic Scapes Pesto
- 10 chopped garlic scapes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped basil
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 small avocados
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lb pasta, cooked
- Pulse the scapes, basil, and spinach in a food processor. Slowly add olive oil while processor is on until desired consistency.
- In a blender (or food processor) blend the avocados and 1/4 cup of the pesto until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add a little bit of milk at a time until sauce is barely thin.
- Stir sauce into warm pasta and serve.