Lately I have been hooked on Sally’s Baking Addiction. Her blog is great and every recipe we’ve tried so far has turned out amazing. So today, Skyler and I wanted to bake something and I found this tasty looking brownie recipe on her site. It’s brownie frosted with a fluffy peanut butter topping and pretzels on top. The original recipe calls for chocolate covered pretzels, and I’m so glad we used plain pretzels because that extra bit of chocolate might have been too rich.
The recipe is takes a little while because the brownies need to cool before frosting them. I am currently having to control myself to not eat the whole pan of fudge-y, crunchy deliciousness. Check out the original post HERE.
(or use your favorite boxed brownie mix)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate (I used 1 8oz Baker’s melting chocolate bar)
- 1 and 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING LAYER
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 – 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
EASY CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZELS
(or use store-bought chocolate covered pretzels)
- 25 mini pretzel twists
- 2 oz (1/2) of a Bakers semi-sweet melting chocolate bar
- Make the chocolate covered pretzels first. In a medium bowl, break up and melt the 2 oz of baking chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue microwaving in 10 second intervals until completely melted. Toss the pretzels into the melted chocolate and stir around until they are mostly coated. They don’t have to look perfect because you will break them up any way. Chill the pretzels while you make the brownies.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 11 x 7 inch baking pan (or 13 x 9 inch baking pan for thinner brownies) with cooking spray. Set aside. Melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature (about 15 minutes).
- Stir sugar into cooled chocolate/butter mixture until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. Gently fold in the flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a knife. Bake for approx 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out *almost* clean.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare peanut butter frosting layer. Using an electric handheld or stand mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter on medium speed until completely smooth and no more chunks of butter are visible. Slowly mix in confectioners’ sugar, starting with just one cup. Add more confectioners’ sugar if needed. You want a very thick frosting layer. I used about 1.5 cups.
- Once brownies are done in the oven and completely cooled (about 1 hour of cooling time), frost with peanut butter frosting. Chop up your chocolate covered pretzels and layer them on top of the frosting, gently pressing them down so that they stick. Refrigerate brownies for about 30-60 minutes until the frosting “sets” on top of the brownies. Cut into squares and enjoy!